Father walks into NC police station to confess daughter’s murder: Police

first_imgUnion County Sheriffs Office(MONROE, N.C.) — A 32-year-old North Carolina man allegedly confessed to killing his daughter, according to authorities. Joshua Lee Burgess, 32, walked into the Union County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina at 9:24 a.m. on Sunday morning to turn himself in for murder, police said.His 15-year-old daughter, Zaria Joshalyn Burgess, had been visiting him for the weekend. One of the officers quickly began inquiring about Burgess and if he had any outstanding arrest warrants, police said. Burgess allegedly replied that there would be no information on him and that there was a dead body at his home. Deputies responded immediately to Burgess’ residence where they discovered his dead daughter inside, police said.Burgess was allegedly compliant and provided “detailed information concerning his daughter’s death,” according to a press release from the Union County Sheriff’s Office. Investigators spent the next several hours conducting interviews and doing a detailed search of the crime scene, police said. Numerous pieces of evidence were also seized from the crime scene.Zaria’s official cause of death and the circumstances surrounding it have not yet been released and will be determined by the medical examiner once the autopsy has been completed. Burgess has been charged with first degree murder and is being held without bond, according to the Union County Sheriff’s Office. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

UK to import vaccine doses from India amid global jabs race

first_imgMeanwhile, both the U.K and EU now look poised to get Oxford/AstraZeneca from the Serum Institute of India (SII), which has been expected to be the main source of supply for less wealthy countries.On Monday, Reuters reported that the European Medicines Agency is auditing the SII to possibly import drug substance from the producer. So far, only three plants in Belgium, the U.S. and the U.K. are allowed to make the substance for the EU’s Oxford/AstraZeneca doses.It’s not clear yet whether the EU would actually receive doses from the SII. The Commission wouldn’t comment, and the EMA said it doesn’t comment on its inspections “until the publication of an assessment report.”The SII agreed to produce up to 1 billion doses of coronavirus vaccine and was a major stop-off during British Trade Secretary Liz Truss’ recent visit to the country. Truss discussed the Indian doses due to be sent to Britain during her trip, according to people familiar with the matter. An official didn’t deny the discussions had taken place but said they weren’t substantial.AstraZeneca declined to comment. The U.K. will receive its first tranche of 10 million Indian-made Oxford/AstraZeneca doses next week, according to U.K. officials, allowing Britain to speed ahead in vaccinations while less wealthy countries wait.As of February 28, India, with a population of around 1.4 billion had vaccinated 14.3 million people. The U.K. meanwhile, had vaccinated 21 million of its citizens by the same date, within a population of around 70 million.”The U.K. has ordered 100 million doses of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine, of which 10 million doses will come from the Serum Institute of India,” a U.K. government spokesperson confirmed Tuesday. The 10 million doses form part of the U.K.’s original 100 million dose agreement with AstraZeneca. The SII was inspected by the U.K.’s Medicines and Health products Regulatory Authority and batches will be tested before use in the U.K. The spokesperson added: “The Serum Institute is one part of our supply chain for the AstraZeneca vaccine, which also includes production in parts of the EU as well as here in the U.K.” The U.K. had sought assurances from SII that providing British doses wouldn’t come at the expense of manufacturing the vaccine for poorer countries, the spokesperson added.However, the move comes amid a fierce debate about the help given to poorer countries to vaccinate their populations. Sandy Douglas, a researcher at the University of Oxford who worked on the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, has called for the U.K. to send “small portions” of its doses overseas, arguing it would provide Britain with a soft-power boost and promote “stability in countries reeling from the pandemic.”Last month, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus accused rich nations of securing vaccines at the expense of COVAX, a mechanism to provide vaccines for low- and middle-income countries. He argued that even though wealthy countries are sending money to COVAX, they’re now snatching up all the available doses, leaving few for countries less well off. COVAX only began sending its first vaccines deliveries to Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire at the end of last week. last_img read more

LNG Limited to add third LNG project in North America

first_imgLiquefied Natural Gas Limited of Australia is eyeing a third liquefaction project in North America.  LNG Limited’s Managing Director Maurice Brand said the company is looking to “unlock further value” but not until it delivers further milestones with the Magnolia LNG project, one of which is the FERC DEIS that the company expects to receive by the end of the year.The company is looking to “execute the legally binding lump sum turn-key EPC contract with SK E&C following completion of FEED, as well as executing legally binding tolling agreements for the supply of 4 mtpa of LNG,” stands in the shareholders report.There are general milestones the company wants to achieve and Brand broke these into three sections, one of which is a corporate office in Houston which is close to completion. It already reached one of the goals with the appointment of Paul J. Cavicchi as a non-executive director of the company.To add to that appointment, “LNG Limited also wants to add couple of additional management officials to help the company develop North American opportunities,” said Brand in a shareholders presentation.As a third target, the company intends to unlock further shareholder value. LNG World News Staff, September 24, 2014; Image: LNG Limitedlast_img read more

2013 hurricane season officially ends

first_img Share The Layou River overflowed it’s banks during the trough system in April, 2013Today, Saturday, November 30, 2013 marks the official end of the 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season.According to a 2013 Hurricane season summary posted on the Dominica Meteorological Service’s official website, the 2013 season “was remarkably quiet with the formation of thirteen (13) Named Storms and two (2) Hurricanes”.The island was affected by only one storm for the entire season, Tropical Storm Chantal damaging the road networks, housing and agricultural sectors. Some utility companies also reported some level of damage in July.Acting program officer at the Office of Disaster Management (ODM), Steve Joseph has advised however, that although the official season ends today, citizens should not let their guards down in light of the change in climate activities.“It is only the official close of the season, it doesn’t mean that we are totally out of the woods, this is not exact science so we don’t want people just putting on their guards totally,” Joseph said in an interview with Dominica Vibes on Friday, November 29.“We could certainly be hit by an event outside of the official hurricane season but here at the Office of Disaster we look at comprehensive disaster management as a year round event,” he continued.Joseph further warned that the country must always be prepared to face disasters at any time.He noted that the trough system which claimed the lives of two footballers in April, 2013, before the hurricane season commenced, should serve as a warning to all Dominicans.“We cannot just put our guards down because the official season comes to a close, we have to be more vigilant with the changing of the climate that we could be impacted with just rain in Dominica”.Severe rainfall has in the past caused flooding in some villages; Massacre and St Joseph and landslides that affects some of the more vulnerable communities.He added that preparation for the 2014 Atlantic season has already begun; ODM is currenlty assessing disaster shelters across the island to ensure that the island is better prepared to weather any storm.“We do not wait until the last hour before the season would open in 2014 to begin to look at those things, we want to address them much earlier”.He called on citizens to also take a leaf from that approach “to make sure that it’s a continuous thing even outside of the hurricane season that we are considering preparedness activities”.Dominica Vibes News 33 Views   no discussions Share Tweetcenter_img Sharing is caring! LocalNews 2013 hurricane season officially ends by: – November 30, 2013 Sharelast_img read more