Home EC hits back at reports of softer line on roaming EC moves forward with 5G spectrum plan The European Commission has denied that a delay is being contemplated to the current policy to end roaming rates in the EU.Earlier in the week, two media reports said a leaked paper from the Italian presidency of the EU moderated the current stance on retail and wholesale rates.“The Italians are not suggesting a delay to ending roaming charges,” the commission responded.“They are just trying to move the other elements of the package forward as details of how to end roaming are worked out, it is normal that not every detail would be on paper at this stage.”The Italian document made no mention of the 15 December 2015 end date proposed by the European Parliament, which was viewed as significant.The Italian paper also seemed to contain a new measure – a fair use allowance for roaming. If a user exceeded the allowance then they would be charged extra, which was presented as a concession to operators.“The existence of a ‘fair use’ clause is not a loophole – it has always been in the proposal and does not mean you would pay extra to roam except in extreme circumstances, and even then that clause would only exist temporarily,” added the commission.The commission said all three EU institutions – commission, parliament and national governments – are united in calling for an end to roaming charges.“They will soon begin negotiations on how to end them,” it said. Negotiations are expected to be completed this year.Finally, the commission denied a link between roaming income and broadband investment.“Even if roaming was ten times as expensive there still would not be nearly enough roaming income to pay for those upgrades. Meanwhile current roaming income is not used to pay for those upgrades – it is mostly used to pay dividends to shareholders.” Richard is the editor of Mobile World Live’s money channel and a contributor to the daily news service. He is an experienced technology and business journalist who previously worked as a freelancer for many publications over the last decade including… Read more Apple hits back in Spotify spat Previous ArticleHuawei reveals how to build the world’s best 4G network in 4 easy stepsNext ArticleOrange set to appeal French network sharing ruling AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 26 SEP 2014 Related EC puts people in driving seat of AI ethics Richard Handford Tags Author ECRegulatory
BELGIUM: Meeting on December 16, the board of infrastructure manager Infrabel approved a 2015 budget incorporating savings of €170m. Given the ‘very difficult’ economic climate, spending has been reduced across all categories with the exception of safety investment where €332∙4m is to be spent on programmes including the installation of TBL1+ and ETCS.Infrabel says that €45m will be saved through internal economies including the deferral of buildings and structures maintenance, a reduction in the training budget and lower IT costs. With the aim of saving €30m without the need for compulsory redundancies, staff recruitment is to undergo a major freeze with only key posts in engineering disciplines to be filled.While insisting that no line closures are planned for 2015, Infrabel has warned of delays to major investment projects as spending is targeted on safety programmes. Such projects are likely to include the upgrade of the Namur – Luxembourg route and four-tracking between Ottignies and Brussels for RER services, although Infrabel says it would be ‘premature’ to specify the extent of the delay.
There is more speculation about Adel Taarabt’s future after his adviser was quoted in the Italian media as saying the player could leave QPR in January, possibly for Serie A.Rangers have been looking to sell Taarabt for some time. He ended last season on loan at AC Milan but was unable to secure a permanent move there during the summer.But The Daily Mirror claim Milan have renewed their interest after Rangers apparently indicated he could leave.AdChoices广告The Daily Express also suggest Taarabt could be on his way back to Milan and report yesterday’s news that Sandro has been given the all-clear to return to training after suffering a knock to the head against Southampton. Related West London Sport story: Sandro cleared to return to training Several newspapers, including the Mirror, pick up on comments by Rio Ferdinand appearing to mock Manchester City’s home crowd for the game against Roma.Taarabt was unable to secure a move to Milan during the summerQPR’s former Manchester United defender tweeted: “How many empty seats are there at the City vs Roma game by the way…big CL game & fans would rather watch Ramsays Kitchen or something at home.”Meanwhile, Real Madrid’s Germany star Sami Khedira has again been linked with a move to Chelsea by the Daily Star.The midfielder, who played under Blues boss Jose Mourinho at Real, is also said to be a target for Arsenal.It is suggested that Khedira, 27, could move to the Premier League on a free transfer when his contract expires at the end of the season.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook